Transportation Corridor Agencies December Board Meeting Highlights

Highlights from the December 13 Joint San Joaquin Hills and Foothill/Eastern Transportation Corridor Agencies Board Meetings is provided below.

IRVINE, Calif. - December 13, 2018

License Plate Manual Image Review Services Renewed for Two Additional Years 

The Transportation Corridor Agencies (TCA) use images of front and back license plates on vehicles to collect tolls from customers without transponders and to process toll violations. While 85 percent of license plate transactions are processed automatically and electronically, the remaining 15 percent (plus vanity plates and those issued by other states) require manual review in order to process the transaction. The San Joaquin Hills (SJHTCA) and Foothill/Eastern (F/ETCA) Transportation Corridor Agencies Boards of Directors voted to authorize the CEO to execute two one-year extension options with Global Agility Services. For the past three years, TCA has utilized Global Agility Services to perform manual image review services as part of its cost containment strategy. The Board of Directors approved an amount not-to-exceed $700,000 through June 30, 2021. 


Construction to Begin on Signage Enhancements Project in Spring 2019

241 signageRecent editions of the Caltrans standards, which include specifications and requirements for roadway signs, include the adoption of federal standards for toll road signing – the color purple to signify toll facilities that are electronic toll collection account-only facilities and the use of a yellow “TOLL” auxiliary plaque.

Staff presented an overview of the Signage Enhancements Project, set to begin in spring 2019, along the 73, 133, 241 and 261 Toll Roads, as well as highways and arterials connecting to The Toll Roads. The project’s scope includes modifying, removing and replacing signs, and overlays of in-ground signs and overhead sign panels; removing one overhead sign structure; installing two new overhead sign structures; and removing and installing guardrail associated with these overhead signs. The following contracts were approved with a not-to-exceed amount of $1,601,276 for the SJHTCA Board and $1,371,385 for the F/ETCA Board:

  • Construction with BC Traffic Specialist
  • Construction engineering management services with Ghirardelli Associates, Inc.
  • Design services during construction with HDR, Inc.
  • Task order with Psomas for biological monitoring services

F/ETCA Authorizes Technical Contract Amendments to Address 241/91 Express Connector Questions

241/91 Connector ProjectIn February 2018, the F/ETCA Board authorized staff to review the traffic data conducted for State Route 91 associated with the 241/91 Express Connector Project, post opening of the 91 Express Lanes into Riverside County. Since this approval, staff has coordinated with the Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA), Riverside County Transportation Commission (RCTC) and Caltrans Districts 8 and 12 to reach consensus on the technical work to be completed, including the identification of projects to be in operation within the 91 Corridor by 2025.  As a result of the work completed to date, the F/ETCA Board approved amending technical contracts with LSA Associates and Stantec in the combined amount not-to-exceed $409,200 to continue providing environmental support and technical assistance for this effort.  The Board’s approval also included updating the investment grade traffic and revenue study for the 241/91 Express Connector Project.

“I want to compliment staff on their efforts to keep the progress of the 241/91 Express Connector project moving forward,” said Christina Shea, F/ETCA Vice Chair and Irvine Mayor Pro Tem. “I’m supportive of the project and our staff’s continued collaborative efforts with OCTA, RCTC and other partners to ensure we have a successful project that benefits regional commuters.”


Outgoing SJHTCA Vice Chair Recognition

Minagar/PeotterSJHTCA Vice Chair Scott Peotter was honored at the December Board Meeting for his leadership on the SJHTCA Board of Directors. Scott Peotter has represented the city of Newport Beach since 2015, generously serving on numerous committees and chairing the Finance and Investment and Toll Operations Committees. Under his recent leadership, the Agency’s bonds were upgraded, online payment processes were improved for drivers without an account, TCA reached the milestones of more than 1.3 million accountholders and record setting transactions days on the 73, 133, 241 and 261 Toll Roads. TCA thanked Peotter for his continued leadership and professionalism.


November 2018 Traffic and Revenue

Compared to November 2017, F/ETCA transactions increased and SJHTCA slightly decreased. Transactions decreased by 0.6 percent and revenue increased by 1.3 percent for the 73 Toll Road. On the 133, 241 and 261 Toll Roads, transactions increased by 0.9 percent and revenue increased by 3.2 percent.

Back to Top