Social Media Guidelines
The Transportation Corridor Agencies/The Toll Roads: Social Media Guidelines
Because many of our drivers and other stakeholders utilize social media for news and communications, the Transportation Corridor Agencies (TCA) have established social media accounts, which help us inform the public about our work and mission. Comments left on our social media sites reflect the views of the commenters, not the views of TCA.
TCA’s social media accounts serve as moderated, limited public forums that provide information of public interest concerning:
- The Transportation Corridor Agencies
- The Toll Roads (State Routes 73, 133, 241 and 261)
- Paying tolls online
- Customer service
- The Toll Roads marketing and promotional activities
- Regional mobility projects
- Construction updates and area road alerts
- Red Flag Warnings and other emergency situations
TCA has an important interest in assuring the accuracy and consistency of information associated with our social media sites. Since TCA’s social media sites are subject to laws including the First Amendment and other protections, there may be times content or offensive comments left by members of the public will remain visible on our social media posts. These terms serve as a guideline for the public’s use of our social media sites in a way that balances these values.
While we encourage debate and discussion, we respectfully request that commenters be courteous and civil toward one another and keep in mind that our social media accounts are open to the public. Commenters are responsible for their own comments, username and/or any information they share. We ask that commenters be mindful of the information shared on The Toll Roads social media accounts.
All comments, public or otherwise, submitted to any TCA social media site may be incorporated into documents, summaries or other materials for TCA uses. Specifically, any communications or information delivered to TCA may be subject to disclosure pursuant to applicable laws including the California Public Records Act.
All comments made on our social media accounts are reviewed. They will not be edited by our staff, but we reserve the right to remove comments that include:
- Obscene content
- Conduct advocating violence or illegal activity
- Speech presenting a grave and imminent threat
- Fighting words
- True threats
- Defamation (libel/slander)
- Solicitations to commit or speech integral to criminal conduct
- Promotion or advertisement of a business or commercial transaction, including but not limited to, advertising of any non-government related event, or business or product for sale
- Copyrighted or trademarked material (if posted without the copyright holder’s consent)
- Content having to do with non-consensual sex and/or self-mutilation
- Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis or race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, covered medical condition, sexual orientation, military or veteran’s status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law
- Sexual harassment
- Pornography/child pornography
- Spam or comments that include links to external online sites
- Content containing personally identifiable information posted without consent
- Images of graphic violence or gore
Violators of this policy may have their comments removed from The Toll Roads’ official social media accounts. Continued or egregious violations of this policy may prompt the restriction of the individual’s ability to comment on The Toll Roads’ official social media accounts.
Please keep in mind that The Toll Roads’ official social media accounts are hosted on platforms run by private companies (ex. Facebook, Instagram, X) – all of which have their own policies and standards concerning what may and may not be posted and the actions that it may take with regard to unauthorized posts. You are responsible to review, accept and comply with the policies, terms and conditions of all social media platforms consistent with your account or membership.
For detailed information from each platform’s policies and standards:
- Facebook (Opens in a new window)
- Instagram (Opens in a new window)
- X (formerly Twitter)
Official links to TCA and The Toll Roads' accounts can be found below:
Updated October, 2023.