What is a toll road violation and what is the process for resolving a violation?
If a driver uses The Toll Roads and does not have a FasTrak® account or pay their toll(s) online, a violation will be processed for each transaction. A violation penalty will be assessed in addition to the toll, consistent with our current policy for non-payment.
To meet our obligation to collect tolls for every vehicle that uses The Toll Roads, a violation enforcement process is in place:
- If a driver passes through a tolled location without paying using FasTrak or our online payment method, pictures of the vehicle are taken.
- The pictures are reviewed and the plate information is sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The DMV provides the name and address of the registered owner. The registered owner will receive a violation notice in the mail (usually within two weeks).
- Each violation transaction is assessed a $57.50 penalty in addition to the toll amount due. If the registered owner has no previous violations, the penalties will be waived. This is a courtesy for first time violators only.
- If a driver fails to respond as outlined in the violation notice, an additional $42.50 penalty may be assessed and a hold may be placed on the vehicle's registration.
- Violation notices are mailed to the address the DMV has on file for the vehicle at the time of the violation.
If you have questions, please call our Violations Department at (949) 727-4800.
View All FAQs