Skip to main content
This site and some of it's functionality will not work on Internet Explorer. Please use a more modern browser.

How can I pay tolls if I have a new car with paper plates from the car dealership?

According to California law, all new vehicles sold after January 1, 2019, must have a temporary license plate with a temporary license plate number. Permanent license plates with permanent license plate numbers are issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 45 days.

If you have a FasTrak account, the temporary license plate number and, then, the permanent license plate number must be added to the account before driving The Toll Roads. When you add the license plate to your account, a free sticker transponder will be sent for the vehicle.

The temporary and permanent license plate numbers can be used to pay a toll online at or using The Toll Roads app. An account is not needed.

If the vehicle does not have a license plate for some reason, it must have a FasTrak transponder properly mounted to the windshield. It is illegal to drive The Toll Roads in a vehicle that has no license plates and no FasTrak transponder. The California Highway Patrol monitors The Toll Roads to enforce this law.

Topic: Driving The Toll Roads FAQs

View All FAQs