How can I pay tolls if I have a new car with paper plates from the car dealership?

According to California law, all new vehicles sold after January 1, 2019, must have a temporary license plate with a temporary license plate number. Permanent license plates with permanent license plate numbers are issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 45 days. The temporary license plate number and, then, the permanent license plate number must be added to an ExpressAccount or FasTrak account for electronic toll collection. If you do not have an account, you can pay tolls online within 5 days before or 5 days after driving The Toll Roads by using the Pay Toll Now payment option found at and The Toll Roads free app.

If the vehicle does not have a license plate for some other reason, it must have a FasTrak transponder properly mounted to the windshield. It is illegal to drive The Toll Roads in a vehicle that has no license plates and no FasTrak transponder. The California Highway Patrol monitor our roads to enforce this law.

Driving The Toll Roads FAQs
Back to Top